01 09 10

Featured Post

Chia Seed Ice-Cream (Sugar Free and Vegan)

My favorite commercial right now is the Geico one where ex-NFL player Ickey Woods is waiting in line to buy cold cuts, and gets ridiculou...

Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Millet and Smoked Salmon Stuffed Avocados


We recently had lunch at a restaurant at a private airport.  The boys loved the view of planes taking off while they ate their lunch.  I loved my blackened salmon with avocado.  I don't think I had ever really paired the two at home, I guess I figured they are both pretty fatty, albeit healthy fat.  But it paired beautifully together.  I came up with the idea of a stuffed avocado to break up lunch boredom - sort of a twist on bagels and lox, minus the bagel of course.  Briny capers mixed with a touch of cream cheese, and a generous amount of healthy millet, turned this into a refreshing, but filling lunch. 

INGREDIENTS:

  • 3-4 large Avocados
  • 1 cup cooked millet*
  • 1/4 cup cream cheese
  • 2 Tbsp capers (with their brine)
  • 1/2 tsp dried dill
  • 1 cup smoked salmon

1.  Cook the millet according to directions.  I use vegetable broth to cook mine. 

2.  Shred a few pieces of the smoked salmon with your fingers, until you have about 1 cup of tiny pieces. 

3.  In a bowl, add the cream cheese and capers.  Add the hot millet, and stir until the cream cheese melts and combines.  Stir in the dill and the salmon. 


4.  Slice the avocados in half, and remove the pits. Sprinkle the avocado with coarse sea salt.  Spoon about 1/4 cup of the mixture onto the avocados.  (I use an ice-cream scoop.) 

5.  Serve on a bed of greens, with some crackers.  I like Mary's Gone Crackers in Jalapeno flavor with this dish.  Serve with a spoon and a fork, for scooping out the avocado.  Makes enough for 4 adults, depending on avocado size. 

*I usually make millet ahead of time, in a large batch to eat from all week.  If you are short on time, try replacing the millet with 1 cup mashed cannellini beans. 


1 comment:

  1. Thanks!!!This is a very detailed and useful sight! Thanks again for sharing!
    You can also visit for daily health tips

    ReplyDelete