01 09 10

Featured Post

Chia Seed Ice-Cream (Sugar Free and Vegan)

My favorite commercial right now is the Geico one where ex-NFL player Ickey Woods is waiting in line to buy cold cuts, and gets ridiculou...

Monday, March 9, 2015

Antifungal regimen for treating Candida

 
Detoxing, cleansing, killing Candida....whatever you want to call it, it's rough.  It sounds easy enough - take a powerful antifungal supplement, kill the yeast, and feel better.  But unfortunately, that's not the case.  My naturopath explained to me that when yeast, or Candida Albican dies, it releases toxins into the bloodstream - 79 of them to be exact.  The result?  The same crazy symptoms that led you to your Candida diagnosis are intensified.  But that doesn't mean you should give up!  Yes you may experience headaches, nausea, and flu-like symptoms for a few days, but you can get through it and get yourself to optimum health, not to mention feeling better.  I wanted to share what helped me. 

First of all, you will find when researching Candida that there is a lot of advice out there.  I mean LOTS.  I was overwhelmed and didn't know where to start.  Thankfully, my naturopath created a program for me.  The most important thing to remember is to take is slow.  You can't go in and kill off all of the yeast in a week, your body (and liver) will be overwhelmed.  Also, use one antifungal at a time, and change it up every week, as the yeast can become resistant to it.  Finally, it's so important to drink lots of water, follow some type of Candida diet, or cleanse, and take a supplement to help your body get rid the dead Candida. 

These are the products that ultimately worked for me. 

OCOTEA ESSENTIAL OIL
Starting with my favorite, Ocotea Essential Oil from Young Living.  Ocotea essential oil has been shown to kill both parasites and Candida.  I found it to be the most potent, but also the most gentle antifungal that I took, simply by how I good I felt on the days that I took it, and the speed of improvement in the way I felt overall, which was rapid.  As far as I know, Young Living is the only brand that carries this amazing oil. 
You can buy it here, if you need a distributor number, this is mine:  2198736

COCONUT OIL
This is an easy one to start with.  Coconut oil, (Caprylic acid),  is such a powerful antifungal, and you can incorporate it into your diet in many ways.  Stir some in oatmeal, cook with it, or make sugar free chocolates with it. 

GARLIC
Raw garlic is another great way to kill the yeast.  I try to have it whenever I know I'm staying in for the rest of the day, just so I don't kill anyone with garlic breath!  But I try to squeeze it in as often as I can since I really prefer the less harmful approach to killing Candida by using natural antifungals.  A little bit goes a long way, as it is quite spicy when raw. 

PLEXUS PRO BIO 5 and BIO CLEANSE
I grouped these together since they go hand in hand.  Before I even knew I had a Candida overgrowth, I was already taking these products.  A friend of mine started them and had such great results, that I joined in.  The Plexus probiotic, which is the Pro Bio 5, is the best one that I've found, because it contains and antifungal (grape seed extract), and enzymes.  Of course you need a probiotic when you are treating Candida, why not take one that already contains an antifungal? 
The Bio Cleanse is a magnesium supplement that cleans out your intestines, very important when you have a build-up of dead Candida cells!  Here is a description of the Bio Cleanse product:

 Most of our bodies are burdened with toxic waste and slow metabolisms. A specially formulated Magnesium Oxide compound with Oxygen Enhancement and  Plexus Bio Cleanse can help do the following:
* Oxygenates the entire body
* Detoxifies and cleanses the gastro-intestinal tract and arteries
* Enhances weight loss
* Supports collagen production
* Relieves constipation
 

I really can't live without these products, they have made such a difference in the way I feel!  Here's where to order:  http://cdey.myplexusproducts.com/detoxification

PAU D' ARCO TEA
This is a popular antifungal tea taken by many who are treating Candida.  I drink it a few times a week. 
http://www.amazon.com/Wisdom-Ancients-Purple-Lapacho-Herbal/dp/B000OO5N18/ref=sr_1_6?s=grocery&ie=UTF8&qid=1425934547&sr=1-6&keywords=pau+d%27arco

OREGANO OIL
Another super potent antifungal, oregano oil can be used topically if you are one that suffers from skin rashes or other topical forms of Candida, (I am not), or you may ingest it - but ONLY if you buy from a source such as Young Living or Do Terra that specifically states safe for ingestion.  Some other oil companies add other ingredients, making them unsafe to swallow.  I added 1 drop to my water per day.  You can also buy capsules to take them in pill form, as it does not taste very good!  Most people love oregano oil and have great success with it.  I found it worked a little too well for me, as my die-off symptoms were too intense.  Ultimately I switched to Ocotoea oil, but you may find you love oregano oil. 
https://www.youngliving.com/signup/?site=US&sponsorid=2198736&enrollerid=2198736

YEAST CLEANSE by SOLORAY
I liked this product a lot because of the ingredients: Caprylic Acid (coconut oil), Pau D'Arco, Grapefruit Seed Extract and Tree Oil.  Most combination formulas have the oregano oil, and since I was no longer taking it, this one worked for me.  I plan to take this occasionally for maintenance. 
http://www.amazon.com/Solaray-Yeast-Cleanse-180-capsules/dp/B00014DJZI/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1425934575&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=yeast+cleanse+soloray

GUT FLORA COMPEX and SPANISH BLACK RADISH
Standard Process makes these two supplements, which were recommended to me by my holistic doctor.  The Gut flora complex is a combination of herbs and essential oils, including oregano oil.  I started my Candida cleanse on this, but again, the die-off was too strong.  However, that means it works, and you may do fine on it - maybe I am weak!  
The Spanish Black Radish is another detoxifying and cleansing supplement.  These two products are another option for you if you don't want to give the Plexus products a try.  I just felt the Plexus ones were more gentle on my body, but wanted to give you a choice.   
https://www.standardprocess.com/Products/MediHerb/Gut-Flora-Complex#.VP4JjWd0x9A
https://www.standardprocess.com/Products/Standard-Process/Spanish-Black-Radish#.VP4KbWd0x9A

That's it!  There are countless other supplements out there to choose from, these are just the ones that I've had the most success with.  My daily regimen goes like this:

1 antifungal supplement in the morning (such as Ocotea oil)
Lunch with either garlic or coconut oil
Pau d' Arco tea
Dinner with garlic or coconut oil
1 Pro Bio 5 capsule and 1 BioCleanse capsule at night

*Important/interesting fact to note:  My naturopath conducted a test on my supplements using a Bio Meridian machine.  She found that the Ocotea oil and the Plexus products were favored by my body, which is another reason they became a favorite of mine.  She also determined that I could do up to 5 drops a day of the Ocotea oil, however she warned me to slowly and gradually increase to this amount, or the die-off would be too intense.  This is the reason I signed up with both of these companies,  to be able to order their products at a reduced cost.  Hope that helps!






Disclaimer: The information on this blog is not intended to be and should not be interpreted as medical advice or a diagnosis of any health or fitness problem, condition or disease; or a recommendation for a specific test, doctor, care provider, procedure, treatment plan, product, or course of action. Consult your physician before making any changes to your diet or exercise program.

1 comment: