01 09 10

Featured Post

Chia Seed Ice-Cream (Sugar Free and Vegan)

My favorite commercial right now is the Geico one where ex-NFL player Ickey Woods is waiting in line to buy cold cuts, and gets ridiculou...

Friday, February 13, 2015

Sugar Free Almond Flour Chocolate Chip Cookies




On of the hardest parts about being on a Candida cleanse is giving up absolutely all types of sugar.  Even fruit is off limits, which means that your favorite healthy treats, like cookies made from bananas and honey aren't allowed.  It's not that I want double fudge covered brownies made from white sugar and topped with frosting, (well, ok, once in awhile I do) it's just that there are days, for instance when I'm baking cookies for my boys, that I get a craving. 

 
I decided to give a sugar free cookie a try.  I knew that almond flour is naturally sweet, not to mention gluten free, and would be the perfect thing to use.  I also wanted to keep it simple and quick, because that is the way I like to bake.  I got lucky because these were perfect on the first try.  They may not be exactly like the super sweet cookies you are used to, but they are delicious - light and fluffy, and feel like a decadent treat with your afternoon coffee. 
 
If you are not on a strict Candida cleanse, feel free to add in a little honey.  I don't even think they need it, as the bittersweet chocolate is sweet enough for me.  Be sure not to forget the pinch of salt as it brings out the natural sweetness in the almond flour.  And as always, I combined xylitol with stevia.  I think this is the best combo for obtaining a sweet, naturally sugar free flavor, but the bitter flavor of stevia is hidden with the xylitol. 
 
You may want to double the batch, this makes about 9 cookies, quick and easy enough to make anytime!
 
INGREDIENTS:
  • 1 1/2 cups almond flour
  • 1/2 tsp xanthan gum
  • 1/4 tsp baking soda
  • 3 Tbsp unsalted butter
  • 2 Tbsp coconut oil
  • 1 Tbsp xylitol
  • 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
  • 2 Stevia packets
  • 1 egg
  • 1/4 - 1/2 cup sugar free chocolate chips (I like Lily's)
  • pinch of salt
 
DIRECTIONS:
 
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.   Place the almond flour, xanthan gum, baking soda, xylitol, stevia, and salt in a bowl, stir with a spoon to combine. 
 
2.  In a small bowl, microwave the butter and coconut oil together until melted.  Add to the flour mixture. 
 
3.  Stir in the egg and vanilla, and finally the chocolate chips.  Drop by the tablespoon onto an ungreased cookie sheet.  Press down the dough slightly to flatten. 
4.  Bake for 10-13 minutes.  


1 comment:

  1. Hey i think that your blog is a really appealing one and i also enjoy a lot reading up on what you have to share. Keep it up with such fantastic shares.

    ReplyDelete