01 09 10

Featured Post

Chia Seed Ice-Cream (Sugar Free and Vegan)

My favorite commercial right now is the Geico one where ex-NFL player Ickey Woods is waiting in line to buy cold cuts, and gets ridiculou...

Friday, February 6, 2015

Chia Seed Ice-Cream (Sugar Free and Vegan)


My favorite commercial right now is the Geico one where ex-NFL player Ickey Woods is waiting in line to buy cold cuts, and gets ridiculously excited, doing a little dance and exclaiming "gonna get some cold cuts today!"  It makes my boys and I laugh every time we see it, and we have even started imitating it - acting silly over mundane things, just to keep a happy vibe in the house.  For instance at breakfast the other morning, my sleepy (ok, crabby) 7 year old was whining about going to school that day.  I started dancing as I was cooking the oatmeal, saying "Woo-hoo!  Going to do some spelling today!  Going to learn some math!"  Silly, yes, but pretty soon there were giggles all around.  I even break into it while taking out the trash or unloading the dishwasher, just to remind them to find happiness in everything. 

I don't however, have to do this silly dance routine to psyche myself up to enjoy this ice-cream, even though it is sugar and dairy free.  The indulgent, silky texture, and rich chocolate taste take care of that for me.  A lot of the time when you are limiting things in your diet that you really want to eat, (like ice-cream), you have to pump yourself up to enjoy it.  Not this. 

I was having a chocolate craving the other day when I came up with this.  The only "sweets" that I had in the house that were sugar free, was some chia seed pudding in the fridge.  So I dumped it in with some coconut milk, cocoa powder, and ice, and was astounded at how delicious it was.  I have made plenty of healthy, vegan ice-creams  with frozen bananas, but since I can't have sugar right now (even fruit) I figured it was just off the menu.  Turns out chia seeds worked wonderfully to hold the ice-cream together, and since they are pulverized in the blender, the resulting ice-cream is silky smooth. 

And do I even need to mention the health benefits of chia seeds?  If you are curious, check them out here.  Health and Fitness Shop has a list of 7 ways that these seeds can improve your health.  http://healthnfitnesshops.com/health-benefits-of-chia-seeds.html/

Let my kids eat their double chocolate cookie dough cones in front of me, I don't care!  This tastes like heaven, not deprivation!


INGREDIENTS:
  • 1 can full fat unsweetened coconut milk
  • 1/2 cup chia seeds
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
  • 1/4 cup cocoa powder
  • 1 Tbsp xylitol
  • 2 packets of stevia
  • 1 cup ice
  • unsweetened chocolate chips (optional)
DIRECTIONS~

1.  Pour the chia seeds in a bowl and cover with the almond milk.  Stir gently, and cover tightly with a lid or plastic wrap.  Store in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours.  (I usually do this the night before and let it sit all night.)

2.  Add the coconut milk to a high powered blender.  Be sure to scrape the cream off the lid of the can.  Add the chia seed mixture that has been soaked, along with all of the other ingredients.  Process until smooth.  It takes a few seconds but it will combine.  If your blender is having trouble with it, add a tiny bit of almond milk to get it going.  Serve immediately as soft serve, or store in the freezer.  Allow plenty of time to thaw before serving, or if you are impatient like me, thaw in the microwave for a minute.  Top with the unsweetened chocolate chips. 




2 comments:

  1. You are undisputed when it comes to content. Awesome recipe

    ReplyDelete