01 09 10

Featured Post

Chia Seed Ice-Cream (Sugar Free and Vegan)

My favorite commercial right now is the Geico one where ex-NFL player Ickey Woods is waiting in line to buy cold cuts, and gets ridiculou...

Monday, February 2, 2015

Aronia Berry Green Smoothie


    A few years ago while visiting my parents' farm back home in Iowa, I noticed some bushes growing at a farm just down the road.  My Mom told me that they were Aronia berries, which was very surprising to me.  I had heard about them and their powerful antioxidant content - the highest content of any berries, or fruit for that matter -  but didn't expect to find them in Iowa!  That is until I read more about them.  I assumed they, like a lot of superfoods, came from somewhere exotic, making them hard to find everywhere.  It turns out that the berries are native to the Midwest. 
    The grower, Larry Turner, turned to a manufacturer to transform the berries into a concentrated juice, so I bought some because I knew I had to make a green smoothie out of it. 

    The berries are thought to have anti-viral and anti-cancer properties, as well as protect digestive, respiratory, and circulatory systems.  Therefore they are a wonderful addition to your green smoothie.  The berries are hard to find however, in fact the only place I've noticed Aronia in any form, is in the grocery stores back home in Iowa, where this syrup is made.  I love the fact that it's so concentrated, a serving size is only 1 Tbsp, so the bottle will last you quite some time.  If you are interested in purchasing a bottle (they ship!), call to place an order:

    #515-571-3264

    OR
    visit this Facebook page and send Larry a message:
    https://www.facebook.com/WindingCreekGardenCenter

     
INGREDIENTS:
  • 1 cup chopped cucumber
  • 1 apple
  • 1/2 cup asparagus
  • 1 1/2 cups kale
  • 2 Tbsp concentrated Aronia juice
  • 1/2 cup frozen mixed berries
  • 3 sprigs parsley
  • 1/2 lemon, peeled
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1 packet of stevia (optional)
  • 1 cup unsweetened almond milk (optional)*
*Add the almond milk if you want a creamier texture

DIRECTIONS~
1.  Place the cucumber, apple, and lemon in a high powered blender.  Add the rest of the ingredients, and blend until smooth.  Store any leftover smoothie in the refrigerator, tightly sealed, for up to 24 hours. 




No comments:

Post a Comment