01 09 10

Featured Post

Chia Seed Ice-Cream (Sugar Free and Vegan)

My favorite commercial right now is the Geico one where ex-NFL player Ickey Woods is waiting in line to buy cold cuts, and gets ridiculou...

Saturday, February 28, 2015

Aloe & Sea Salt Green Smoothie


For a few months I've been making green smoothies with almost no fruit, except for an occasional low-sugar fruit like lemon, lime, or green apple.  The reason - I'm still on a Candida cleanse where sugar of all kinds, even fruit, is off limits.  At the same time, I've been adding aloe vera juice to my smoothies, for the incredible gut healing properties.  Specifically, aloe is useful in healing leaky gut syndrome.  I have no idea if I have that, but it goes hand in hand with Candida, as well as nutritional deficiencies.  Since my naturopath determined that I had a few surprising deficiencies, Vitamin D being a big one, I am taking steps to heal that as well.  I am eating an extremely balanced diet, along with getting tons of sun exposure each day, so the fact that I'm deficient in anything is a good clue that Candida caused a little bit of leaky gut. 


Aloe is also useful in treating joint pain, heartburn, healing internal injury in your body, soothing the digestive tract, and may fight infections due to anti-fungal properties.  And the sea salt?  I've found that a touch of salt brings out the natural sweetness of the vegetables, as well as the limited amount of fruit I'm allowed.  And it pairs perfectly with the aloe and the cucumber.  Make sure you find an aloe vera juice that is safe for consumption, most health food stores carry it, or you can buy the brand that I use here.

INGREDIENTS:
  • 1 cup chopped cucumber
  • 1 green or golden apple
  • 2 stalks of celery
  • 1 cup Napa cabbage
  • 1/4 cup cilantro (stem and leaves)
  • 1/8 tsp sea salt
  • 1/4 cup aloe vera juice
  • 1/2 cup water
*optional- 1/2 lime, peeled

Place the cucumber, apple, and celery in a high powered blender, followed by the remaining ingredients.  Blend until smooth. 




1 comment:

  1. Wow!! Green drink made up of only Aloe and sea salt. Sounds interesting. Yeah I also know health benefits of Aloe and I am thinking to start taking green aloe smoothie soon too to prevent myself from diseases, and to boost my metabolism.

    ReplyDelete