01 09 10

Featured Post

Chia Seed Ice-Cream (Sugar Free and Vegan)

My favorite commercial right now is the Geico one where ex-NFL player Ickey Woods is waiting in line to buy cold cuts, and gets ridiculou...

Monday, January 26, 2015

Sugar-Free Coconut Oil Chocolates



After a few weeks of this Candida cleanse, I can safely say that I easily gave up dairy.  And wine.  And most carbs.  And fruit.  And root vegetables.  But take away my chocolate, and at some point I'm going to get cranky.  Chocolate and cocoa powder are to be strictly avoided during the first few weeks of the cleanse, where you mostly exist on non-starchy vegetables and protein.  But after that period, you can slowly start to add a few foods back in.  My holistic doctor told me that unsweetened chocolate was ok at this point - music to my ears!

I quickly found out that good sugar free chocolate is hard to find.  And the fact that the only sweeteners I will eat are xylitol and stevia, makes it even more difficult.  I do like Lily's chocolate bars, but they aren't sold close to my house, and they are pricey.

I decided to make my own using unsweetened chocolate bars, xylitol, stevia, and coconut oil.  If you are on a Candida diet, you know that "fat bombs" - little treats usually made with coconut oil, stevia, and lemon juice, are something that can hold you over when you are hungry and craving something sweet.  The caprylic acid in coconut oil is a powerful anti-fungal.  That combined with the healthy fat content makes them a must-have during this diet. 

This is my take on the fat bomb, turning them into little chocolates.  I also added hemp seeds because I like the crunch.  I love really dark chocolate, if you prefer a sweeter taste, feel free to increase the xylitol. 


INGREDIENTS~
  • 2 oz. unsweetened chocolate (good quality - I like Guittard)
  • 2 Tbsp coconut oil
  • 3 tsp xylitol
  • 1 stevia packet
  • 2 Tbsp hemp seeds (can substitute shredded coconut, chia seeds, ground flaxseeds, or leave out)
1.  Melt the chocolate in 30 second increments in the microwave, stirring often.  Add the coconut oil, and melt for an additional 30 seconds. 

2.  Add the xylitol and stevia and stir well until dissolved.  Stir in the hemp seeds. 

3.  Pour into silicone molds and refrigerate until firm.  Remove from molds, and store in an airtight container in the fridge.  Makes 4 ounces.





No comments:

Post a Comment