01 09 10

Featured Post

Chia Seed Ice-Cream (Sugar Free and Vegan)

My favorite commercial right now is the Geico one where ex-NFL player Ickey Woods is waiting in line to buy cold cuts, and gets ridiculou...

Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Silky Bok Choy Soup

 
Confession:  I don't like Bok Choy.  It's not horrible, after all it really doesn't even have that much flavor.  But still.  I don't even like it in noodle dishes like Pad Thai.  All I can think of when I bite down on a piece is how much better the noodles taste!  But that is how I feel about all bland, watery fruits and vegetables.  Bell peppers, cucumbers, watermelons (any melons, really) all belong next to Bok Choy in my least favorite vegetable category.  Thankfully I am able to hide all of those in my green smoothies. 


The other problem with Bok Choy is that it's usually huge, and takes up all of the room in my fridge drawers.  That was the case the other day, when I returned home from getting groceries and couldn't fit everything in.  Such a "problem," I know.  So I decided to turn it into a soup, get it out of my fridge, and give it another shot of liking it. 

I also was coming down with a slight cold, and wanted to eat some raw garlic since it's known to be cold and flu fighter.  Raw garlic is a powerful anti-fungal too, which is good for my Candida fighting efforts right now.  So this quick and easy soup was born.  And guess what?  I like love Bok Choy in this recipe!  The bunch I used had a few stalks taken off for earlier smoothies, so if you are using a large bunch, you may want to adjust the seasonings at the end.  The size of Bok Choy varies so much anyway, as do their leafy green tops, so always taste and adjust at the end.  And if you are not fighting a cold, (or Candida) then I've included directions to cook the garlic and onions.  My husband loved the spicy bite that the raw garlic gave it though, so be sure to try it both ways!

 INGREDIENTS:
  • 1 medium sized Bok Choy*
  • 3 green onions, coarsely chopped (white and green parts )
  • 2 large cloves of garlic, minced
  • 1/2 cup vegetable broth
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened canned coconut milk
  • 1/4 tsp ground ginger (or use a 1 inch piece of fresh ginger)
  • 1/2 tsp turmeric
  • 1/4 tsp black pepper
  • 1/2 tsp sea salt
  • 1 Tbsp Bragg's liquid amino acids (you can substitute soy sauce or tamari)
  • 1 tsp sesame oil
  • sea salt
  • coconut oil
  • cilantro
*For this recipe I used 4-5 cups of the white stems, and 2 cups of the green leaves

DIRECTIONS:

1.  Heat 1 Tbsp coconut oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.  Cut the white stems of the Bok Choy into bite-sized chunks.  Wash, add to the pan and cook for 5 minutes, covered.  Shred the green leaves of the Bok Choy into large shreds, wash and cook with the stems for an additional 5 minutes.  Add 1/2 tsp sea salt, cover, and stir frequently.
*If you are cooking the garlic and onions, add them during the last 2-3 minutes, and transfer them to the blender with the Bok Choy in the next step.

2.  To a high powered blender, add the vegetable broth, coconut milk, garlic, onions, ginger, turmeric, pepper, and Bragg's.  Blend until smooth.  Add the cooked Bok Choy to the blender, and blend again until smooth and creamy.  At this point you can add the sesame oil and once again blend, or top each bowl with a drizzle of it. 

3.  Serve immediately, with either a few drops of the coconut milk, chopped cilantro, or chia seeds - or all three!  
 


No comments:

Post a Comment