01 09 10

Featured Post

Chia Seed Ice-Cream (Sugar Free and Vegan)

My favorite commercial right now is the Geico one where ex-NFL player Ickey Woods is waiting in line to buy cold cuts, and gets ridiculou...

Thursday, January 29, 2015

Dark Chocolate Protein Pancakes - with Whipped Coconut Cream


January is usually my month where I catch up on ordering family photos.  The other day I spent 8 hours on Shutterfly - I was starting to lose the will to live!  But now I'm up to date, and only have a few photos left to stuff in the family albums.  As I was going through old pics, I came across one of the boys eating the chocolate spinach pancakes I used to make for them.  Sounds horrible, I know, but they really did love them!  I had all but forgotten about them for some reason, I guess when my third baby was born I didn't have the time to puree spinach in the morning anymore!  But I remembered how much my boys enjoyed them, and how well the chocolate hid the taste of the spinach.  Of course then I craved some chocolate pancakes. 


So yesterday I messed around and came up with these.  Since sugar is off limits to me right now, I made these completely sugar free.  If you are not on as strict of a diet, feel free to add some honey or other sweetener.  But I was surprised at how delicious these tasted without sugar.  What helped was the avocado - totally undetectable and not only helps to make them moist and creamy, but added a healthy dose of fat and fiber.  Also the whipped coconut cream.  I can't have maple syrup, but these needed something creamy anyway, so I didn't even miss it.  Again, if you are eating sugar, use a tiny bit of honey or powdered sugar in the coconut cream if you wish.

Normally to make whipped coconut cream you place two cans of full fat (lite won't work) canned coconut milk in the refrigerator overnight, and scrape off the top cream in the morning to whip into cream.  (You can store the remaining coconut water in the fridge to use later.)  But I only had 1 can, and I am a slacker - as in I could never be that organized to leave a can in the fridge the night before.  I will let you know when I reach that point in my life!  So I cheated, used a little xanthan gum as a gluten free thickener, and what do you know, it did the trick.  Make a batch of these and you'll have a protein powered chocolate breakfast waiting for you all week. 

INGREDIENTS:
Pancakes:
  • 1/2 cup coconut flour
  • 1/3 cup dark cocoa powder
  •  1 1/2 cup liquid egg whites (or whites from 8 large eggs)
  • 1/2 cup avocado (about 1/2 of 1 avocado)
  • 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
  • 1 Tbsp xylitol
  • 2 stevia packets
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
  • unsweetened chocolate chips, like Lily's (optional, if you can find them)
Whipped Coconut Cream:
  • 1 can full fat unsweetened coconut milk
  • 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
  • 1/2 Tbsp xylitol
  • 1 packet stevia
  • 1 1/2 tsp xanthan gum


DIRECTIONS:
1.  Mix all of the pancake ingredients (except for the chocolate chips) in a high powered blender.  Scrape into a bowl and stir. 

2.  Melt 1 Tbsp coconut oil in a large skillet over medium heat.  Add 1 Tbsp of the pancake batter, using the back of the spoon to swirl them flat as you go.  Top each pancake with a few chocolate chips.  Cook for 2-3 minutes of until set around the edges, flip, and cook 2-3 minutes longer. 

3.  While the pancakes are cooking, add the can of coconut milk and xanthan gum to a mixer.  Mix on medium speed, scraping often for 10 minutes.  Add the sweeteners, mix 5 more minutes on high speed, scraping every minute. 

4.  Top each pancake with a dollop of the whipped coconut cream and a sprinkle of unsweetened cocoa powder.  Store extras in the refrigerator, tightly sealed.









No comments:

Post a Comment