01 09 10

Featured Post

Chia Seed Ice-Cream (Sugar Free and Vegan)

My favorite commercial right now is the Geico one where ex-NFL player Ickey Woods is waiting in line to buy cold cuts, and gets ridiculou...

Monday, December 15, 2014

1ST CLASS SALAD DRESSING

 
  In my twenties, I flew as a flight attendant for Northwest Airlines, traveling all over the U.S. and abroad.  They were some of the best days of my life.  What a way for a small town girl from Iowa to see the world.  Before I knew what I had signed up for I was off on my 1st trip, to Amsterdam.  After that, a normal month might include a Japan trip, followed by a 6 day India, then a Germany, London, or Italy pattern to end the month.  Of course that doesn't include the domestic trips in between.  I remember one particular 7 day trip that went to Amsterdam, then on to New York City, and back to Amsterdam for another layover before heading home.  Of course instead of resting from the jet lag in NYC, we all hit Manhattan for a party!  Oh those were the days.  Filled with museums, dining, shopping, exploring historical monuments.....  now I get tired just thinking about all that travel. 


I'm so glad I got to experience the world in my 20s.  We are almost to the point where we are ready to start traveling as a family again, showing our boys some of our favorite places.  My husband is an airline pilot, so neither one of us can sit still for very long.  Still, that's what is easier when your children are very young. 

Old route tracking sheet from my 1st flight to Japan.  The flight deck used to hang these in the cabin for the passengers to look at during the flight.  The crew signed this one and gave it to me to remember my 1st time to Japan.

In the meantime, it's fun to look back and tell them stories of my travels.  Recently, I came across a recipe for the Shiso Herb salad dressing that we used to serve in 1st class on our flights to Japan.  I remember many nights, sitting in the upper deck of the 747, trying to stay awake, and eating little rice bundles from the Bento boxes, topped with this salad dressing.  While it was a salad dressing, lettuce didn't exactly appeal to me at 3 a.m. over the Pacific, and that's just how most of the flight attendants seemed to eat it.  However, the unique flavor was delicious, and I wished for years that I could find it again.  Now that I have the recipe from the Narita catering kitchen, thanks to a flight attendant that posted it on a Northwest Airlines Facebook page, I decided to redo it as a healthier green salad, topped with warm rice.  Salad with any kind of warm grains on top is my favorite way to eat them.   You could try quinoa or millet, too.  This recipe is pretty close in taste to the original.  And the best way to eat it is still to douse the rice with it, sorry diet!

*You can grow your own Shiso leaves, or order the dried Shiso powder here:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002HQG2UC/ref=sr_ph?ie=UTF8&qid=1418684703&sr=1&keywords=shiso
 

Early morning picture I snapped in Osaka, Japan

1st Class Salad Dressing (Shiso Dressing)

  • 1/2 cup olive oil (or vegetable oil)
  • 2 Tbsp white vinegar
  • 1 Tbsp low-sodium Tamari or soy sauce
  • 1 Tbsp finely minced black olives
  • 3 tsp Shiso leaf powder, or 8 fresh Shiso leaves
  • 1 cube beef bouillon dissolved in 2 oz hot water
  • pinch of white pepper
  • 3/4 tsp lemon juice
 
Whisk all ingredients together, or place in a glass jar with a lid, and shake to combine. 

To serve:

Top salad greens with 1/2 cup of hot rice.  Generously drizzle salad dressing on top.  Finish with a sprinkle of coarse sea salt. 

Store remaining dressing in the refrigerator. 








1 comment:

  1. There's alot of talking going on about Chia seeds icecream. They fitness geeks are recommending to bring Chia seeds in their daily diet because of being highly nutritious.

    ReplyDelete