01 09 10

Featured Post

Chia Seed Ice-Cream (Sugar Free and Vegan)

My favorite commercial right now is the Geico one where ex-NFL player Ickey Woods is waiting in line to buy cold cuts, and gets ridiculou...

Sunday, August 10, 2014

Spiralized Zucchini "Noodles" with Kale-Pesto Green Smoothie Sauce

 
I am a huge fan of zucchini noodles.  A few months ago I bought a small handheld spiralizer, and since that first meal, I've been hooked.  What's so great about it is that in less time it takes to boil water and cook noodles, you can have a dish that tastes like pasta but is so much healthier.  And although I happen to love most gluten free pastas, I still consider them a heavy meal.  What a great way to lighten up your dinner and sneak some veggies in.
 

Most of the time I use a bottled marinara or vodka sauce, but I have been wanting to use my Vitamix to create green smoothie sauces that are full of flavor and nutrition.  This sauce allowed me to capture the delicious flavor of pesto, but because I used kale and vegetable broth with it, I ended up using much less, saving tons of calories from the olive oil that pesto is made from.  I was surprised at how good it was, and I actually prefer this sauce on zucchini noodles than anything I've tried yet.

INGREDIENTS~
  • 3 garlic cloves
  • 3 Zucchini squash
  • 1/4 cup water
FOR THE SAUCE~
  • 3 Kale leaves
  • 1/2 cup prepared pesto
  • 1/2 cup vegetable broth
  • 1 tsp salt
  • pepper to taste
  • 1 Tbsp lemon juice
  • 1 tsp sriracha hot sauce


Directions:

1.  Mince the garlic and set aside.  Using a spiralizer, turn the zucchini in noodles and set aside.  (If you don't have a spiralizer, use a vegetable peeler to create thin ribbons of zucchini.

2.  In a large saucepan over medium heat, cook the garlic in olive oil for 1 minute, or until it begins to brown slightly.  Add the water and zucchini noodles, and season well to taste with the salt. 

3.  Meanwhile, to a high powered blender add the kale, vegetable broth, pesto, lemon juice, salt, pepper, and sriracha.  Blend until smooth. 

4.  Add the sauce to the pan.  Continue cooking over medium-high heat until the noodles absorb the kale-pesto and the sauce reduces slightly, (about 10 minutes.)  The sauce to noodle ratio will vary depending upon how large your zucchini and kale are. 

5.  Taste and adjust the salt and pepper seasonings if needed.  Top with shaved Parmesan. 






No comments:

Post a Comment