01 09 10

Featured Post

Chia Seed Ice-Cream (Sugar Free and Vegan)

My favorite commercial right now is the Geico one where ex-NFL player Ickey Woods is waiting in line to buy cold cuts, and gets ridiculou...

Sunday, August 10, 2014

Lemon Soaked Beets with Crispy Roasted Shallots




 Beets.  Seems to me that most people either love 'em or hate 'em.  Personally, I love them in green smoothies but find them too sweet for a savory meal.  I like sweets, don't get me wrong, but usually not in my meals.  Plus, their flavor resembles the dirt that they grow in.  But they have stellar health benefits, so they're worth learning to love.


I realized that I might enjoy them more if I punched up the flavor with tangy lemons.  It worked.  These roasted beets were so delicious, finally!  And the crispy roasted shallots on top?  Forget about it.  I dare anyone who hates beets to try this recipe.  I topped a green salad with these beets and shallots hot out of the oven, and only was able to take two bites before my five-year old stole my plate.  I should've told him to beet it. 
 
 INGREDIENTS~
  • 2 cloves of garlic
  • 4-6 small beets (I used golden beets, red beets are fine too)
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 1/3 cup lemon juice
  • 1 tsp salt
For the shallots~
  • 1 shallot, thinly sliced
  • 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
  • olive oil
  • salt and pepper

1.  Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Mince the garlic and set aside.

2.  Scrub the beets.  You may peel them with a vegetable peeler as well, I found I didn't need to with the golden beets.  Slice them evenly into bite sized pieces. 

3.  In a large plastic bag, add the olive oil, salt, garlic, and lemon juice.  Add the beets, seal the bag, and toss around the beets inside the bag so that they are evenly coated with the mixture.  Place in the refrigerator for at least an hour. 
4.  Line a baking tray with tin foil and spray with cooking spray. 

5.  Slice the shallots and drizzle them well with olive oil while they are still on the cutting board.  In a small bowl, pour the 1/2 cup of panko bread crumbs.  Season the onions well with salt and pepper, toss to combine, and add to the panko.  Toss with your fingers until all of the slices are evenly coated.  Transfer to one side of the prepared baking sheet. 
6.  Use a large spoon to scoop the beets out of the bag to the other side of the pan, being careful to keep the sauce from running to the shallots.  (You may need to roll up more tin foil to block it.)


 7.  Bake for 20 minutes, remove shallots, stir the beets, and bake for 20 more minutes.  Eat as a side dish or top a salad with the beets and shallots. 

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete