01 09 10

Featured Post

Chia Seed Ice-Cream (Sugar Free and Vegan)

My favorite commercial right now is the Geico one where ex-NFL player Ickey Woods is waiting in line to buy cold cuts, and gets ridiculou...

Saturday, July 19, 2014

Savory Summer Corn Green Smoothie



Growing up in Iowa, I've eaten my fair share of sweet corn.  It just wouldn't seem like summer without sweet corn.  While my favorite way to eat it is slathered with butter, salt, and pepper, I've been experimenting a little more with savory green smoothies, just to switch it up and slightly lower my fruit intake. 



Our family farm in Iowa.  Miles and miles of corn.

Turns out silky corn creates the perfect, creamy consistency for a smoothie.  I pumped up the vitamin and anti-oxidant content with Swiss Chard, and added celery to help with the salty taste, and green onions to give it a flavor kick.  It's like drinking a summer garden in a glass.  Take advantage of the abundant, fresh corn in the market right now, and enjoy it in a different way. 

INGREDIENTS~
  • 2 ears of corn
  • 2 Swiss Chard leaves + stems (or 1 large leaf)
  • 3 green onions
  • 1 celery stalk
  • 1/2 orange bell pepper
  • 1/4 lemon, peeled
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/2 cup water
  • handful of ice
1.  Peel back the husk and silk from the ears of corn.  Stand the corn upright on a plate, and slice the kernels off with a sharp knife. 
2.  Slice the roots and top half of the greens off of the green onions.
3.  Add the bell pepper, lemon, and corn to a high powered blender, followed by the rest of the ingredients. 
4.  Blend and savor summer!

*Try adding fresh herbs to this smoothie.  Cilantro and basil are two of my favorites - about 1 1/2 teaspoons will be enough. 




2 comments:

  1. I loved Green drink and continued drinking 1 to 2 glasses a day. Green smoothies are excellent at facilitating weight loss. I recommend everyone to use green drinks if they want health supplement plus weight loss supplements.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I certainly agree with that, green smoothies are the easiest way to lose weight, in my opinion!

      Delete