01 09 10

Featured Post

Chia Seed Ice-Cream (Sugar Free and Vegan)

My favorite commercial right now is the Geico one where ex-NFL player Ickey Woods is waiting in line to buy cold cuts, and gets ridiculou...

Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Fennel Chips

 



Are you a fan of fennel?  I wasn't until recently, not in the slightest.  Fennel has a distinct licorice flavor, which is just not one of my favorite flavors in the world - not in candy, and definitely not in a salad!


But I was doing a little research and found out that fennel is fabulous at getting rid of gas, and therefore boating and puffiness.  The first time I ate it I noticed the slimming effect almost immediately.  All of a sudden I loved fennel!  So I started throwing it in my grocery cart more often, especially during these summer months. 



The great thing about roasting fennel or making them into chips is that the licorice flavor disappears.

INGREDIENTS:
  • 1 fennel bulb
  • 1 tsp garlic salt
  • 1 1/2 tsp chili powder
  • 2 tsp nutritional yeast
  • Sea salt to taste
  • olive oil
DIRECTIONS:

1.  Preheat oven to 250 degrees.
2.  Slice the stems and fronds off the fennel and discard, leaving only the bulb.


3.  Use a mandolin or a knife to slice the bulb as thin as possible.  You can remove the core or not, it's up to you.  I find I don't notice it when it is cooked. 


4.  On a baking sheet lined with foil, drizzle about a tablespoon of olive oil.  Add the fennel.  Season with the spices, using more if desired.  Toss gently to coat.


5.  Bake for 1 hour.  I leave it in the oven for up to a half hour longer with the heat off, because I like mine good and dried out.  Ok, burnt.  That's the way I prefer my fennel chips, pull yours out sooner if you'd like, but they may be more like roasted fennel than fennel chips. 
6.  Serve with your favorite dip.  I used a mix of hummus and onion chip dip. 



No comments:

Post a Comment