01 09 10

Featured Post

Chia Seed Ice-Cream (Sugar Free and Vegan)

My favorite commercial right now is the Geico one where ex-NFL player Ickey Woods is waiting in line to buy cold cuts, and gets ridiculou...

Saturday, June 7, 2014

SUNBUTTER CUPS



I almost ruined this blog post before I had a chance to write it.  My husband and I were sampling these as I was taking them out of the pan when I realized I only had a few left to photograph!  That's pretty much how it goes when there are Reese's peanut butter cups in the house.  Sometimes they're leftover from Halloween or Easter, once in awhile we have a weak moment in the store and buy them.  Then we actually hide them from each other, who does that?!  After we find each other's hiding spot, they're usually gone in a day.  Seriously, if there was ever a trigger food for me, it's those.


As I mentioned in a previous post, I'm eating trying to eat less peanut butter these days because of the scary Aflatoxin mold found in some peanut butter.  But I needed to find a replacement, so I made these with sunflower butter, which is actually more beautifying than peanut butter thanks to it's high vitamin E content and healthy beauty fats.  These ended up becoming a cross between two of my favorite sweet treats, Reese's Peanut Butter Cups (of course) and scotcheroos.  What is a scotcheroo, you ask?  Just my favorite treat from childhood - rice krispies mixed with sugar, corn syrup, and peanut butter, and topped with a mixture of melted bittersweet and butterscotch chips.  You probably had something similar and called it by a different name, that's what we call them in the Midwest.  Trying not to eat the whole pan is impossible.  But you can eat as many as you want of these without guilt, thanks to the healthier sunflower spread, small amount of honey, and fiber and healthy fat containing oats and walnuts.  Somehow they managed to taste like peanut butter, thanks to the tiny bit of salt I added.   I still have to hide them from my husband though.

INGREDIENTS~
  • 1 1/4 cup oats
  • 1/2 cup raw walnuts
  • 1/4 cup sunflower seed spread
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1 Tbsp honey
  • 1/2 cup bittersweet chocolate chips
  • 1/2 cup butterscotch chips







Directions:
1.  Blend the oats and walnuts together in a food processor.  Add the salt, honey, and sunflower seed spread.  Blend until mixed, scraping down the sides as necessary.  Scoop mixture into a bowl. 














2.  Form the mixture into a ball by squeezing it together, until all the crumbs are picked up.  Cut the ball in half.  Squeeze them into two logs, and slice each log into 12 pieces.  Roll or squeeze each piece into a ball.  (This is why raw walnuts are so important to use, roasted nuts have less oil and are drier, so the mixture will not stick together when squeezed as well as raw walnuts.)

 
 
3.  Spray a mini muffin pan with cooking spray, or brush with oil.  Place one ball into each well, and flatten with your fingers until it fills the bottom. 

 
4.  In a microwave safe glass bowl, mix together the chocolate chips and the butterscotch chips.  Heat in 30 second increments on high power, stirring every 30 seconds.  You want them to be melted enough so that you can drizzle it easily, but be careful not to burn the chocolate.  Spoon about 1 tsp over each sunflower/oat ball.  Let harden, or if you're impatient like me, place in the refrigerator for twenty minutes, or until set.  Store covered at room temperature. 


  

No comments:

Post a Comment