01 09 10

Featured Post

Chia Seed Ice-Cream (Sugar Free and Vegan)

My favorite commercial right now is the Geico one where ex-NFL player Ickey Woods is waiting in line to buy cold cuts, and gets ridiculou...

Sunday, June 22, 2014

Spicy Bloody Mary Green Smoothie

 
Even as obsessed with vegetables as I am, I still tend to fall into a rut and buy the same few over and over again.  Rutabaga?  Last purchase was 1 year ago.  Fennel?  I'm trying to incorporate it into new recipes so I can enjoy it more often.  Mustard greens?  I pretend they don't exist.  Seriously, a little voice inside my head taunts "I can't see you!" when I push my grocery cart past them in the store.  And it's a shame since they offer stellar nutrition.  But they are so spicy.  Don't get me wrong, I love spicy food, but these greens will knock your socks off in a regular old green smoothie.  Don't even try to mix them with fruit, they can't play nice the way spinach does.




So I finally had the idea to make them work in a savory green smoothie.  And what is a better savory drink than a bloody mary?  I often want two green smoothies a day, usually after I have indulged with too much food the night before.  It's especially nice to drink two a day in the summer when we're so busy running around to the parks and pool.   By drinking two smoothies a day it's easier to keep my weight in check, and my breakfast AND lunch are now portable!  But after my slightly sweet coffee, and a fruity green smoothie, I'm ready for something salty.  This drink makes a perfect smoothie for lunch. 
 
Just what is so special about mustard greens, you ask?  Well, all greens are full of vitamins and anti-oxidants, but mustard greens (part of the Brassica family which include brussel sprouts, cabbage, and broccoli), are potent detoxifiers.  Rich in  sulforaphane, they protect against several cancers.  They are also important for heart and eye health, weight loss and metabolism, high in Vitamins C and K, which neutralize and remove toxins from the body.  I guess I can learn to love them. 


 
INGREDIENTS~
  • 4 medium sized tomatoes
  • 1-2 leaves (and stalks) of mustard greens (2 will be spicy!)
  • 1 celery stalk
  • 1 carrot
  • 1/2 red bell pepper
  • 1 green onion
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
  • 1/2 lime (peeled)
  • 1 cup ice
  • Optional - 5 stems of cilantro
1.  Begin by placing the tomatoes and bell pepper in the blender.  Add the rest of the ingredients and blend until smooth. 

*If you're not sure how spicy you like it, start with 1 mustard green leaf, and a handful of baby spinach.  If you can tolerate the spice, throw in the other mustard green leaf.  Also, you can always dilute it with more water if it ends up being too spicy for you. 


No comments:

Post a Comment