01 09 10

Featured Post

Chia Seed Ice-Cream (Sugar Free and Vegan)

My favorite commercial right now is the Geico one where ex-NFL player Ickey Woods is waiting in line to buy cold cuts, and gets ridiculou...

Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Bomb Pop Green Smoothie (with red bell pepper, celery, cauliflower, + fruit!)


Christmas is my favorite holiday, but the 4th of July is a close second.  I grew up in a small town in Iowa, and the day of the 4th was packed with activities from sunrise to well past sunset.  The whole town was out and about, along with plenty of visitors.  Like most smaller towns, people have been moving away over the last few decades, so sadly it isn't quite the celebration it used to be.  But I still can't seem to go anywhere else with my family for this holiday.  So in a few weeks we're packing up the car and heading east, to savor summer and celebrate Independence Day. 

Anyway, back to the smoothie.  I will be making this smoothie for my boys the day before we leave for Iowa, to get them excited for all things red, white, and blue.  These layered green smoothies take a little bit more time, which is why they are best saved for holidays.  I like to make them while I'm doing something else in the kitchen, like today.  I was preparing bags of "riced" cauliflower for my freezer, to have on hand for my cauliflower pizza crust.  http://sparklesweatandjuice.blogspot.com/2014/04/best-ever-cauliflower-crust-pizza.html
I whipped up this smoothie in between, letting the individual layers freeze in between so they wouldn't run together.  In the morning, I will just take them out and let them thaw slightly before the boys wake up.  They will be excited for a festive twist to their daily green smoothie!

Ingredients~

Blue Layer:
  • 1/2 cup blueberries
  • 1 celery stalk
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 1/4 vanilla flavored Coconut (or Almond) yogurt
  • 4 drops blue food coloring
White Layer:
  • 1 cup cauliflower
  • 1/2 banana
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 1/4 cup vanilla flavored Coconut (or Almond yogurt)
Red Layer:
  • 2/3 cup raspberries
  • 1/2 red bell pepper
  • 1 tsp honey
  • 1/3 cup water
  • 3 drops red food coloring
Directions:

1.  Make the blue layer, divide evenly between 2 glasses.  Place in freezer for 30-40 minutes.
2.  Make the white layer, using the tamper to press down the cauliflower (if using a Vitamix), or add water if needed to blend.  Pour on top of the blue layers, and freeze for 30-40 minutes. 
3.  Make the red layer, pour on top of the white layer, freeze for 30 minutes, or overnight. 







No comments:

Post a Comment