01 09 10

Featured Post

Chia Seed Ice-Cream (Sugar Free and Vegan)

My favorite commercial right now is the Geico one where ex-NFL player Ickey Woods is waiting in line to buy cold cuts, and gets ridiculou...

Monday, April 7, 2014

Teeny Bikini Green Smoothie - For Weight Loss

 

I have a love/hate relationship with summer, thanks to swimsuits.  On one hand, I love bikinis and seem to have an obsession with buying cute new suits every year. 
Case in point:
 
Those are just my bikinis.  I know, it's a problem.  On the other hand, it's a bit stressful to stay in the shape required to fit into them for 3 months in a row.  And it doesn't help that our favorite family summer evening activity is to get ice-cream and cruise around.  So I'm starting early, with this green smoothie.  It has a lot less fruit than we normally use, so I added a bunch of citrus (which is lower in sugar than other fruits), to mask the taste of the greens.  I find it's sour taste curbs my appetite and cravings throughout the day.  Rather than drinking a large glass of this at breakfast, I keep a glass in the fridge with a straw in it, covered with press and seal.  That way when I'm passing through the kitchen, I take a few sips of this instead of grabbing snacks.  It really seems to keep my hunger under control.  Plus, the ingredients are all either fat burners or watery, lo-cal, and high fiber fillers. 

  • Kale - Super high in fiber and healthy omega-3 fatty acids, both of which keep you full
  • Green apple - lower in sugar than red apples.  Plus, studies have shown that the tart taste found in these (and other foods) may curb your appetite
  • Cucumber - Watery and filling
  • Asparagus - My favorite de-bloater.  Helps to rid your body of excess fluid and puffiness
  • Green tea - It's egcg's (phytochemicals) are super fat burners, helping your body with fat oxidation.  I use Pomegranate flavored tea to add a little more flavor and sweetness since this drink has very little sugar
  • Grapefruit - A grapefruit a day could help you lose up to a pound of week, by lowering your insulin levels.  My stomach could never tolerate that, thanks to it's acid content, but I try to incorporate a little bit a few times a week
  • Broccoli - High in fiber and protein, it's surprisingly filling for a vegetable
  • Lemon - Known for it's powerful cleansing abilities, helps rid your body of excess waste.  The pectin in lemon can also help reduce cravings
*If you find this smoothie too sour, dilute it with more water, or add 1/2 a banana

Ingredients~
  • 1 kale leaf
  • 1 green apple (seeds and stem removed)
  • 1/4 cucumber
  • 1 celery stalk
  • 5 asparagus spears
  • 2 broccoli florets (and stalks)
  • 1/4-1/2 grapefruit (peeled)
  • 1/2 lemon (peeled)
  • 1 bag flavored green tea
  • 1 packet of stevia
*optional - ice cubes

Brew the tea in 6-8 ounces hot water while you prep the produce.  Place the cucumber, grapefruit, and lemon in the blender first, followed by the remaining ingredients.  Add the tea with the ice cubes to keep the drink cold.  Blend until smooth.  If the drink is too chunky, add more water. 

If juicing, run all the ingredients through (you may leave the citrus peels on), stirring in the green tea and ice cubes afterwards. 




 
 




16 comments:

  1. My partner and I stumbled over here from a different web address and thought I should check things out.
    I like what I see so now i am following you. Look forward to
    going over your web page again.

    Also visit my blog :: weight Loss nutrition plan for women

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is very interesting, You are a very skilled blogger.
    I've joined your rss feed and look ahead to seeking extra of your fantastic post.
    Additionally, I have shared your web site in my social networks

    My homepage - pure garcinia cambogia extract in stores

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, I appreciate it!

      Delete
  3. I know this if off topic but I'm looking into starting my own blog and was wondering
    what all is required to get setup? I'm assuming having a
    blog like yours would cost a pretty penny? I'm not very
    web smart so I'm not 100% positive. Any
    suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

    my webpage - Healthy Choice Weight Loss

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there, I'm still learning as I go, but no, it doesn't cost a thing! I started by searching "how to start a blog," which led me to BlogSpot. The blog itself can be set up in a matter of minutes. Any specific questions I had, such as how to install a Pinterest Pin It button, I found the answers to from google. The rest has been trial and error. Let me know if you have any specific questions, I'd be happy to help!

      Delete
  4. Hi dear your blog content is unique and information full blog .i read your full blog it is unique and good.

    Weight loss smoothies

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm really enjoying the design and layout of your website.
    It's a very easy on the eyes which makes it much more
    enjoyable for me to come here and visit more often. Did you hire out a designer to create your theme?
    Excellent work!

    Also visit my web page; low noise, ,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! No designer here, just me:)

      Delete
  6. I am extremely impressed with your writing skills
    and also with the layout on your blog. Is this
    a paid theme or did you customize it yourself?
    Either way keep up the nice quality writing, it is rare to see a great blog like this one nowadays.


    My webpage: minion rush cheats (crazydomains.in)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, I've done it all myself, learning as I go!

      Delete
  7. Does this "cleanse" your body? (basically, does it make you have to go the bathroom lol) Because I was thinking about making it before work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will definitely keep you "regular," but not in a way that you will be rushing to the bathroom! Green drinks are incredibly cleansing and alkalizing to your body, yet gentle at the same time:)

      Delete
  8. I love summers and most important thing is that I can control on my diet in summers. In summers I start taking Green drink every day in morning and in evening. This way I can skip my meal and it helps in my weight loss. Broccoli, spinach and kale are my favorite things which I add in my drink on alternate days.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree, Eli, it is so much easier to eat healthy, fresh food in the summer!

    ReplyDelete