01 09 10

Featured Post

Chia Seed Ice-Cream (Sugar Free and Vegan)

My favorite commercial right now is the Geico one where ex-NFL player Ickey Woods is waiting in line to buy cold cuts, and gets ridiculou...

Monday, April 21, 2014

Caramelized Onion, Spinach, and Feta Quesadilla (Gluten Free)



Today was just one of those days.  I had a million things to do and no time to do them.  Genius me decided to tear apart the boys' rooms to switch out the winter clothes with summer.  And I filled the dining room table with a year and a half of photos to start putting them into albums.  Plus I was going to go for a run in this beautiful weather, no matter what.  Oh, and I have to be ready to take the boys to hockey practice right before dinnertime.  Did I mention I also took down the Easter decorations?  Days like this I'm glad I have gluten free wraps in the freezer.  They are perfect for turning a few pantry and fridge staples into yummy quesadillas or wraps, for the fastest dinner possible.   I don't eat much dairy, but I do love these with the combination of gooey cheddar and tangy feta.  These are perfect alongside my Coconut and Lime soup.  http://www.sparklesweatandjuice.blogspot.com/2014/04/coconut-lime-chicken-soup.html
Just  what I needed to keep this crazy train going today!

INGREDIENTS:
1 (5 oz.) package fresh baby spinach
1 yellow onion
1 (4oz.) package feta cheese
8 Gluten Free Tortillas
Shredded Cheddar

1.  Heat a large skillet over medium heat.  Add a few drops of olive oil and 2 tbsp. water.  Slice the onion into thin slices.  Add to the pan, sprinkle with sea salt, and cook until caramelized.  They cook better when the heat is kept a little lower so they don't burn.  Keep adding water if they get dried out before they are tender. 

2.  Remove cooked onions from the pan, add the package of spinach to the pan, season with sea salt and pepper to taste, and cook until wilted.  I like to work with half a package at a time, so there's enough room in the pan. 

3.  Place the cooked spinach in a bowl and set aside.  Wipe the pan clean with a paper towel.  Spray with cooking spray, and place 1 tortilla in the pan.  Top with a few tablespoons of both the spinach and onion.  Sprinkle as much cheddar and feta cheese over the top as desired.  Top with another tortilla.  Cook over medium heat until cheese starts to melt.  Using a large spatula, carefully flip the quesadilla over, and cook until both sides are crisp and slightly browned. 

*Gluten free tortillas can burn easily, so keep the heat low!

No comments:

Post a Comment