01 09 10

Featured Post

Chia Seed Ice-Cream (Sugar Free and Vegan)

My favorite commercial right now is the Geico one where ex-NFL player Ickey Woods is waiting in line to buy cold cuts, and gets ridiculou...

Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Rainbow Smoothie

 
 

I've had rainbows on the brain lately.  I'm planning a Paw Patrol themed birthday for one of my sons,  and since it's such a colorful cartoon, I'm doing a rainbow theme for the lunch.  That and St. Patrick's Day is coming up.  What could be more fun for the kids than a rainbow smoothie?  They won't even notice the vegetables.  Admittedly, this is a once in awhile smoothie, as it is more time consuming.  But you could make it easy on yourself, just throw a little extra smoothie in a Ziploc and freeze it if you make a particularly bright one.  Once you get the Roy G. Biv, just thaw slightly and layer in a glass! 

Ingredients~

*If your kids are new to juicing/blending, go ahead and do a fruit only smoothie.  Also, you could use any combination of fruits and veggies, this is just what worked for me. 

RED - 4 red bell pepper strips + 1/4 cup frozen raspberries
ORANGE- 4 orange bell pepper strips + 1/4 cup baby carrots
YELLOW - 1/2 banana + 1/2 peeled lemon
GREEN - 1/2 collard green leaf + 1/4 cucumber
BLUE - 1/4 pear + 1/4 cup frozen blueberries + 1/2 cup vanilla flavored coconut milk + drop of blue food coloring (otherwise it will be purple)
PURPLE - 1/4 cup purple cabbage + 1/4 cup red grapes

This makes enough for 1 smoothie in a tall glass.  Double it to make enough for two. 

1.  Starting with the purple, blend with as little water as possible to be able to get the blender going, but you want the mixture to be thick so the colors don't run together. 

2.  Pour into a glass, and set in freezer for 20-30 minutes.  I actually did all of the colors, rinsing the blender out in between each color, and poured them into separate baggies and placed them in the freezer.  Then throughout the day I removed the next color in line, thawed until I could break it up enough to spoon into the glass, and re-froze.  Just make sure to rinse the blender in between colors!

1 comment:

  1. Its like you read my mind! You appear to know a lot about this, like you wrote the book in it
    or something. I think that you could do with a few pics to drive the message home a little bit,
    but instead of that, this is excellent blog. A great read.

    I will certainly be back.

    Take a look at my homepage :: sensei

    ReplyDelete