01 09 10

Featured Post

Chia Seed Ice-Cream (Sugar Free and Vegan)

My favorite commercial right now is the Geico one where ex-NFL player Ickey Woods is waiting in line to buy cold cuts, and gets ridiculou...

Thursday, February 6, 2014

Chocolate-Coconut Clean & Healthy Coffee Creamer


 
Hi, my name is Courtney and I like frou-frou coffee drinks.  I wish I could just enjoy a cup of black coffee in the morning like those people, but I really love sugary coffee creamers, any flavor-you name it.  Which makes it really hard to stick to my dairy free, low sugar diet that I try so hard to follow.  I have tried almond milk with a little stevia, or some xylitol, but nothing really ever gave me that same taste I craved in the morning.  So for the past year I've had an on-again/off-again affair with Coffee-mate.  Until I came up with this recipe.  For me, it's exactly what I tried so hard to create for over a year.  Creamy and rich, with the right hint of sweetness to cut the bitter taste.  I really only use three sweeteners in place of sugar-xylitol, stevia, or coconut nectar.   They are natural, the rest are awful for your body, many containing aspartame.   Stevia by nature has a slightly bitter, ok very bitter taste, so I added a bit of coconut nectar to help out.  While stevia is calorie free, coconut nectar is not, although it is lower on the glycemic index than regular sugar.  Xylitol is my favorite, it's the same texture as sugar and not at all bitter, but too much of it can upset your stomach. 


Also did I mention there's cocoa powder?  This elevates this creamer to a superfood creamer, I'm pretty sure:)  Two tablespoons of antioxidant rich cocoa, rich in flavonoids and heart healthy.  Not a bad start to your day, and much better than the high fructose corn syrup and chemical laden concoctions disguised as most coffee creamers. 

Ingredients~
1 1/2 cups of coconut milk (you could use almond or regular dairy milk if you are not vegan)
  • 2 Tbsp. cocoa powder (I prefer raw cocoa)
  • 1/2 tsp. coconut extract
  • 1 packet powdered Stevia (such as Stevia in the Raw)
  • 1 Tbsp. coconut nectar (You could use honey, although it might change the flavor slightly)

Blend all ingredients in the blender and store in a pourable bottle in the fridge.  I use this fancy one from Good Seasonings salad dressings. 

 

9 comments:

  1. This coffee creamer sounds delicious. It seems like it would also be much healthier than most. I would love to try something like this.
    Ron | http://www.bestlifeint.com/wicks#!healthy-coffee-creamer/c12ui

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, I just love chocolate and coconut together, especially with coffee! And I checked out your link, thanks for sharing. I hadn't heard of this before, looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks so delicious. I love having cold coffee with milk and sugar. But recently I came to know that we should not add sugar in our coffee. I never had coffee without sugar. I will try it someday soon. Thank you Courtney!

    Regards,
    Finn Felton

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Finn! I hope you enjoy it, it was hard for me to switch from super sweet coffee creamer but I feel better knowing this is much healthier! Have a great day:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This creamer looks delicious! My wife and I are pretty big coffee drinkers and I think we'd definitely like something like this. That's especially true because we've been trying to eat more healthy foods recently. It's good to know that we can still have coffee as a main part of our diet. http://www.bestlifeint.com/#!healthy-coffee-creamer/c12ui

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't wait to try this. Over the holidays I found a delicious chocolate mint coconut creamer at Whole Foods. With this one I can control all of the ingredients.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't wait to try this. Over the holidays I found a delicious chocolate mint coconut creamer at Whole Foods. With this one I can control all of the ingredients.

    ReplyDelete
  8. have read many blogs in the net but have never come across such a well written blog. Good work keep it up
    premium coffee

    ReplyDelete