01 09 10

Featured Post

Chia Seed Ice-Cream (Sugar Free and Vegan)

My favorite commercial right now is the Geico one where ex-NFL player Ickey Woods is waiting in line to buy cold cuts, and gets ridiculou...

Friday, February 7, 2014

Baby Portobello, Artichoke, and Kale Cakes with Garlic-Sriracha Aioli



Every time I opened the fridge for the past few days, a box of baby Portobello and some leftover artichoke hearts were staring at me...."hurry and use us up, we are going to go bad in a few days!"  Ok so maybe I'm just really sleep deprived, darn teething babies.  Anyway it was late one night, and as usual the kids were all fed and in bed and I realized I hadn't eaten since 11 a.m.  I so often have bowls of veggies and grains for dinner, but I was in the mood for something a little more fun.  So I decided to turn the mushrooms and artichokes into little poppers, like crab cakes.  And of course I needed a dipping sauce....garlic?  Sriracha?  Yes please!  These turned out so good and were perfect with a glass of red.  And then the baby woke up.  Nice little escape with my DVR while it lasted.

Ingredients~
  • 6 baby Portobello mushrooms (white button mushrooms would be fine)
  • 2/3 cup chopped artichoke hearts (or quarters)
  • 1 clove of garlic, minced
  • 1 egg
  • 1/3 cup chopped kale (or shredded)
  • 1/4 tsp. onion powder
  • 1/2-1 cup panko bread crumbs (depending on how wet your mushroom mixture is)
  • 1/2 Tbsp. lemon juice
  • Salt & Pepper
For the Aioli~
  • 1/4 cup mayo (vegenaise if you're vegan)
  • 1/2 tsp. horseradish sauce
  • 1/4 tsp. garlic ( I used dehydrated minced garlic flakes, you could sub garlic powder, start with 1/8 tsp. first and test it to make sure it's not too overpowering.)


  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Wash mushrooms and remove stems.  Ok so you're supposed to use a damp dish cloth and wipe them rather than rinse them, but it was late and I was hungry. 
2.  Chop mushrooms and artichokes into a small dice.

3.  Saute garlic in a bit of olive or coconut oil.   Add  mushrooms, artichokes, and shredded kale and cook until tender and liquid is reduced, about 8 minutes.  You want the mixture to be fairly dry.


4.  Season the mix with sea salt and pepper, onion powder, and lemon juice, then add the egg, lightly beaten.  Add the panko, adding as much as it takes to make the mixture dry enough to shape into balls. 

5.  Line a baking tray with foil and grease with melted coconut oil or cooking spray.  Roll the mushroom-artichoke mixture into balls (about gold ball sized), squeezing out any additional liquid into a separate bowl as you go.  Bake for 10-15 minutes, again depending on how wet your mixture is.  In the meantime, mix the mayo and horseradish in a small bowl, season to taste with salt and pepper.  Drizzle with the sriracha sauce.

1 comment:

  1. I like it that this ice cream is sugar-free and the diabetes patients can have this one too. Thanks for the share and letting me know about this ice cream. My father is a diabetes patient. So thanks, once again

    ReplyDelete