01 09 10

Featured Post

Chia Seed Ice-Cream (Sugar Free and Vegan)

My favorite commercial right now is the Geico one where ex-NFL player Ickey Woods is waiting in line to buy cold cuts, and gets ridiculou...

Saturday, January 25, 2014

The Sparkling Strawberry ~ Fruit and Vegetable Smoothie

 
 
Valentine's Day is right around the corner, and I wanted to make a special juice for my boys that morning.  My middle son loves strawberries, so I thought they would make a perfect red drink. Valentine's Day and strawberries just screamed "sparkle" to me (most things do), so I needed some kind of seltzer water as the liquid.  My husband usually has a bottle of sparkling water in the fridge, and it just happened to be strawberry-kiwi flavored, perfect!


 
 
 
Ingredients~
     1/2 red bell pepper
     1 cup frozen strawberries (is using fresh be sure to add a handful of ice cubes)
     1/2 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
     1 small or 1/2 large beet with red beet stems
     1/2 stalk red swiss chard (mostly stem to keep the red color in the juice)
     seltzer water, regular or flavored
 
Place all ingredients in high speed blender.  You will have to add some seltzer to get the juice to blend, but it will turn flat after being blended.  Pour juice into a glass and top with an additional 1/2 cup of seltzer.  
 
If using a juicer instead of a blender, simply use all fresh ingredients and run through the juicer.  Mix with seltzer and pour over ice. 

No comments:

Post a Comment