01 09 10

Featured Post

Chia Seed Ice-Cream (Sugar Free and Vegan)

My favorite commercial right now is the Geico one where ex-NFL player Ickey Woods is waiting in line to buy cold cuts, and gets ridiculou...

Tuesday, January 21, 2014

My Favorite Fitness DVD's

These are some of my favorite workouts.  With 3 little boys, I don't have time to join a gym.  While I would love an uninterrupted hour to myself to exercise, for me it is just quicker and easier to sneak in a quick workout while they are busy playing, and not worry about loading everyone up and driving to the gym. 

1.  Workout, One-on-One Training with Jackie, by Jackie Warner.  This is divided into 3 different sections- upper body, lower body, and core.  Once in a while I do the entire DVD, but usually I do one or two of the 20 minute workouts.  It's really great for targeted toning, with a little bit of cardio thrown in.  The core section is just the right amount of killer. 

2.  Tony Horton's 10 Minute Trainer.  I just recently purchased this, and I'm glad I did.  While a 10 minute workout is not ideal for me, it completely takes away the excuse "I don't have time to workout today."  No matter how busy I am I can throw it I and it's done before I know it.  They get your heart pumping, and I actually feel some muscle burn-all in 10 minutes!  There are 5 workouts-Total Body, Lower Body, Abs, Cardio, and Yoga Flex.  The DVD comes with a resistance band and cardio belt. 

 
 
3.  Jillian Michaels Ripped in 30.  This one is great, and in typical Jillian fashion really gets your heart pumping.  There are four 24-minute workouts, each one gets a little harder.  Every workout includes 3 minutes of strength, followed by 2 minutes of cardio, and 1 minute of abs.  That circuit is repeated throughout the 24 minutes.  I'm not a huge cardio lover, except for running I mainly stick to lifting weights, so this one is great for me.  It really gets my heart rate up, but I feel like I'm mostly doing weights or at least a body weight workout. 

4.  P90X Extreme Home Fitness box set.  This will always be my favorite.  Twelve intense workouts that really whip you into shape.  I am storing it on a shelf right now, looking forward to the day that I have time for the hour-90 minutes that it requires each day.  Once in awhile when I really want to burn out a muscle group I'll throw one in, just for old times sake:)  And I love the sore muscles the next day, I can't help it.   
 
 
 
 
 
5.  The Tracy Anderson Method Mat Workout.  This is a gentle toning DVD (but it burns!)  that targets your smaller helper muscles.  As Tracy says, it helps to "re-engineer your muscular structure, wake up your accessory muscles, pull in your larger muscles, and shift your shape into something you never knew you could achieve."  While I don't love the standing abdominal work, (too easy) I really like the leg and arm sections.  Somehow she creates the burn with little to no weight.  I like to do this DVD on off days, or days that my larger muscle groups are too sore and tired to do much.  
 
 


2 comments:

  1. FYI - P90X now has P90X3, same at home program, but all workouts are 30 minutes instead of the hour to 90 minute workouts. I have it home, haven't started it yet, finishing up P90X first. Let me know if you'd like more information!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Michelle, I have heard about it, that will probably be my next purchase! Love his workouts!

    ReplyDelete