01 09 10

Featured Post

Chia Seed Ice-Cream (Sugar Free and Vegan)

My favorite commercial right now is the Geico one where ex-NFL player Ickey Woods is waiting in line to buy cold cuts, and gets ridiculou...

Thursday, January 16, 2014

 
 
 
FAQ's
 
1.  How often do you juice/blend?   A:  I blend a raw smoothie every day in my Vitamix.  With a juicer, I usually only juiced 3 times a week, as the process is a little more involved and required more clean-up time. 

 
2.  How long does the juice keep in the fridge?  A:  Juice made from a centrifugal juicer needs to be consumed within 20 minutes for maximum nutrient absorption.  After that the enzymes begin to die.  If you purchase a masticating juicer, you may keep the juice tightly sealed in the fridge for up to 36 hours.  Drinks made from high powered blenders typically last longer, up to 48 hours, chilled and covered. 
 
3.  What kinds of vegetables and fruits do you use?  A:  Any and everything!  Everything from collard greens, swiss chard, celery, carrots, kale, spinach, rutabaga, radishes, turnips, cabbage...you name it I've juiced it!  What typically is not recommended for juicing ( but may be used for blending) is bananas and avocados.  These will not produce any juice and may clog up the juicer. 
 
 

 
 
4.  What recipes do you use?  A:  I've never followed a recipe for a juice or smoothie.  Not once!  While I may try to record some of my daily drinks into recipes for this blog, I've found that what works best for me is to use whatever I have in the fridge.  I typically select what looks the freshest in the produce aisle, or what they have on sale.  Some guidelines that I always follow are to include more vegetables than fruits (80%veg-20%fruit), include a half a lemon with each drink, always have either berries or pineapple.  I find that the lemon, berries, and pineapple really cut through the taste of the greens.  I also try to include a banana in my smoothie if I'm blending particularly bitter green such as collard greens, or mustard greens.

5.  Will you kids drink it?  A:  Yes, it takes a little work, like any new food or drink, so it's best to start them as young as possible.  My middle child loves fruit, so he's easy.  My oldest, not so much, but I found that if I get him up on the counter and let him pick out the stuff to put it and turn it on, that he really gets into it and doesn't put up a fight to drink.  Now they know they have a drink every morning with breakfast, it's so routine that they rarely protest.  

No comments:

Post a Comment